Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Thing 6

I really enjoyed hacking around on the Flickr mashups and can see a lot of applications for my class. My beginning ESL class has to learn a lot of basic vocabulary. Students could search for images, use bubblr to put the word for the image on the picture, print a cube with 6 words on it and use the cube to study. If each student were assigned 6 words, a cube to make and responsibility for printing out the pictures without the bubble caption, they could teach other students their words and develop a short quiz. I can see tying this in to a class novel, etc. Great tool!

I also teach ESL social studies. The trading cards would be great for famous people or events. Last year, we did group projects on the three branches of government. Mosaic maker would be a great way to display the images for their particular branch. At the end of the year, each student did a Powerpoint presentation on a famous person - I'll have to play around with using Flickr in conjunction with Powerpoint although I imagine it wouldn't be difficult to add Flickr images to a presentation.

I do have one concern: in looking around, I noticed a page that searches for "sexy images" on Flickr. Is there some way to block such searches or will the district filters prevent such images from showing on student screens?

No comments: