Monday, July 21, 2008

Thing 5



Well I've just explored Flickr and am determined to upload my personal photos and organize them if nothing else! What a wonderful alternative to the boxes of yellowing photos I have stashed in various closets.

Last year my students wrote some amazing stories about their journeys to the U.S. They included pictures that represented their homeland and their new home in the U.S. that they found on the web. I hadn't given much thought to teaching them about copyright restrictions and the like. Using Flickr will help educate them about proper usage and make sure that we aren't somehow using images improperly.

I've selected the image of "no ESL" because I find it sad that some people feel negatively about ESL (even though the photo was actually of an "environmentally sensitive landscape"). The other image is of the main plaza in Mexico City and is similar to the type of photos my students have used to illustrate their narratives.

No comments: