Sunday, August 3, 2008

Thing 18

I was very excited about OpenOffice, especially when comparing the ~$200 you have to spend on Microsoft Office vs. this no cost option. I was not so thrilled about spending more than an hour trying to get the suite to download without positive results. The link shows on my desktop, but I must be missing the shortcut or something because I can't get in. I'm sure with more playing I will get it to work, but it's Sunday and my "Things" must be completed by Tuesday, so I'm giving this a pass for the moment and will revisit if I have time. I'd appreciate any comments or guidance on this. I do love the concept!



I had already registered for GoogleDocs and can think of many ways I can use this feature to improve my personal and professional productivity. Prior to receiving my district laptop, I would often create documents at home and then email them to myself to save on my computer at work. GoogleDocs will allow me to access these documents from any computer. I also will use the collaborative abilities of the site when planning lessons or creating documents with other teachers. Students can edit group research projects through GoogleDocs as well, even if they don't have a personal email account. I plan on using it a lot in about 3 weeks! Yikes - that's soon.....

1 comment:

VWB said...

if you are using a district laptop...open office is already loaded on it!

also when trying to load things that you do need to load...remember there is a special sign on to use ony for loading.